12 March 2014

Postcard from {Wellington}: Boomrock

Last weekend, we were lucky enough to spend some time in what I would consider to be one of Wellington's most exclusive entertainment venues. I had been here twice before, once for my friend's wedding and later, for our own wedding almost 10 years ago and the memories of the view and the location were just as I remembered them. Boomrock is just 20 minutes' drive west from one of Wellington's northern suburbs and yet it feels another world away.


Nestled into sheer cliffs on private farmland overlooking the Tasman Sea, the lodge has views towards the South Island and further up the coastline, on a clear day, Mount Taranaki is visible. It's such a beautiful location, and with the sea and sky constantly changing colours, I could never tire of that view.

I had given up on the idea of taking a casual excursion to show our children where their parents got married until an opportunity came up through my husband's line of work and permission was given for him to bring his family. Yayzles!

The lodge was being set up for a wedding later that day, so we were so quite lucky to be allowed there. Despite its exclusivity and the fact some of us turned up in holey clothes, at no time were we made to feel unwelcome but even so, the girls were under instructions to behave otherwise they'd get left in the car. The manager was obviously well-used to young children and had them involved in a golf ball hunt so they were kept occupied. With a carrot dangled of 15c per ball found, the girls were on a mission to see how many they could find dotted around the cliffs.
I am already looking forward to seeing our friends tying the knot here early next year and sampling some more of the finest hospitality and ambience I have ever experienced. I might even get to try some golf or claybird shooting or some of the other extreme activities the venue offers that I missed out on at our wedding because I was too busy looking pretty and stuff.
And in case you were wondering, we found 29 golf balls, 14 shotgun casings and one chocolate  bar wrapper.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous family photo! I remember your wedding like it was yesterday, I cannot believe it was 10 years ago in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this place sounds magical! What a lovely visit and what a great family shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to be able to take your family to see where you got married, it is a beautiful location, so I can quite see why you chose it and why you love it so much! Great job on the golf balls!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family you have. Sounds like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Boomrock (heard lots about it) but it looks like a really amazing spot - what views!

    ReplyDelete